Information about the club

The Mozarkite Society of Lincoln, Inc. is a member of the Midwest Federation of Mineralogical and Geological Societies which is a member of the American Federation of Mineralogical Societies.
                  The Mozarkite Society of Lincoln, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization whose purpose is to stimulate and promote interest in the study of lapidary, mineralogy and geology; to promote the lapidary arts and jewelry making; and the collection and preservation of mineral, fossil, and geological specimens and sites as well as their ecological surroundings.  The society promotes awareness of, and education on, Mozarkite so its members and general public may better appreciate Missouri’s state rock and its’ attributes.
                  For more information about Mozarkite and club information, go to www.mozarkite.com.
                  Monthly meetings are held on the last Tuesday of each month (except December) at the First Christian Church, 200 S. Limit, Sedalia, MO 65301.  Kids’ Club meeting – 6:15pm; regular meeting – 7:00pm.
                  Membership dues including newsletter are:  Individual adults - $15; Junior $5.
Executive Officers

President –Karl Parsons;  Vice President – ; Secretary – Pam Radu; Treasurer – JoyceGrinstead (660-827-3888) jgrnstd@sbcglobal.net

Mozarkite SOCIETY of LINCOLN, INC.
MEETING MINUTES

           
 The regular meeting of the Mozarkite Society of Lincoln Inc. was held Tuesday, February 22, 2022, at the First Christian Church, 200 S. Limit, Sedalia, MO 65301.

          President Kelly Blum called the meeting to order with 9 members present. 

          Kelly started the meeting by passing around a sign-up sheet for contributions to our potluck in March and a sign-up sheet for volunteers to work the Show in September.  Karl made a motion we also sign up for working the church kitchen when we have dinner at the church.  There was no second, no discussion and no vote on his motion. 

The minutes of the January meeting were read.  There being no additions or corrections to the minutes, they were entered into the file.  

          The Treasurer’s Report for January was read.  There being no additions or corrections to the report, it was placed in the file for audit.  Joyce said that since we no longer have a Kids Club, we should do something with that account.  Lee made a motion, seconded by Diane, that the Kids Club account be absorbed into the General Fund and should we start another Kids Club, it would be returned as a start-up fund.  Motion carried.

 

Committee Reports - No committee reports

 

Unfinished Business

Kelly went through his list of action items again for the next show.  

Door Prizes – Kelly will bring the Harms Jewelry collection he purchased to the next meeting to select pieces for door prizes.  If he can find suitable marble, he will still make maps of Missouri.

Food Vendor – Last year, our vendor, Pam, said she’d be moving to FL, but implied she might be back.  Kelly still had not called her to see if she’d be available to work our show.  Barb expressed dissatisfaction with the food Pam offered.  Kelly also has a line on a food vendor in Warrensburg, the Leathernecks we had in 2019 can be contacted and Joyce checked with the corn dog vendor and is awaiting information.

Location of the Show – Kelly contacted Greg Nelson, Mayor-Elect of Lincoln, and he’s agreed to let us hold our show across the road from the Mike Hare Field to avoid the conflict of charging our visitors an entrance fee since Lincoln does  plan to charge an entrance fee on Saturday.  We will have access to parking, electricity and restrooms in that location.

Ted’s and the Eckhoff rock collections – none of us know what specimens are in these collections so we have no idea how to charge for them.  Pam contacted State Fair College geology department and Lee will follow up with them to see if they would be interested in identifying each rock and perhaps suggest its value.

Dragon Eggs – Anita left a number of filled plastic eggs from last year’s show’s Kids Club fund raiser.  Pam has these and it was agreed to sell these instead of having a Silent Auction.

Marking the Field – Kelly has been very concerned the city’s mowers will hit the wires from marking flags on the field.  He said he will have landscaping paint to mark traffic lanes and where we want vendors to park.

Identifying Members at the Show – Kelly asked again about purchasing matching shirts for members so visitors and vendors can recognize club members if they need something.  Pam and Lee will research the cost of quality tee shirts in a turquoise blue for everyone.  A list has been made of how many and what sizes will be needed.  Pam and Joyce will look into getting lanyards with our group name woven into them to wear with the tee shirts.  The shirts will be paid for and belong to each member while the lanyards will be paid for and belong to the club.

PA System – Pam will pursue renting a sound system for the show.

Rock Dig – Kelly asked again for suggestions on how to prevent little children from injuring themselves or others at the rock dig.  Karl brought up that at one time we’d discussed providing safety equipment.  Mike made a motion, seconded by Barb, that we buy inexpensive safety glasses and sell them at cost.  Motion carried.  Pam said she potentially has a source of high-quality eye protection that was rejected for cosmetic reasons so could be free to us.  She said she’d check them out.

 

New Business

Joyce told the members she’d received a letter from Ellen Schwartz of the Windsor Press asking us to contribute a monthly column to be printed in their papers.  Kelly said it would be a good way to discuss our show.  Some interest was expressed so Joyce said she’d contact them to tell them we are thinking about it.

The Stover Animal Shelter is once again holding a fund raiser and has asked us to participate.  The fund raiser will be April 9 from 10am to 3pm.

Kelly was contacted by a rock club in Oklahoma who would like to bring their members to dig for Mozarkite on June 29.

 

There being no further business to bring before the members, the meeting was adjourned.  Tonight’s refreshments were provided by Kelly.  The March meeting will be a potluck.  Refreshments for the April meeting will be provided by Renee.